Marble sculpture, Arethusa by John Edward Carew (Wexford 1785 – London 1868), 1823. The first work by Carew to be acquired by the 3rd Earl of Egremont directly from Carew's London studio in 1823. The Irish sculptor, and former assistant to Sir Richard Westmacott, was thereafter to be showered with commissions. Arethusa, according to the Roman poet Ovid in his Metamorphoses 5: 572-641) was a nymph who was transformed into a stream by the goddess Diana, thus protecting her from the amorous advances of a river-god. Here, Carew depicts her, scantily clad, with a greyhound (without classical authority) as a companion of Diana.