2015-01-31

Glass Pavilions, Sheffield Botanical Garden

Glass Pavilions, Sheffield Botanical Garden
These pavilions were an original feature of the Gardens when it opened in 1836. The local architect was Benjamin Broomhead Taylor,  who worked closely with Robert Marnock (the first curator), Joseph Paxton (gardener to the Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth) and John Claudius Loudon (a leading landscape gardener of the day) on the project. As today, the three domes were linked by ridge-and-furrow glasshouses.
The Pavilions were restored in 2005.

Post a Comment